The Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CornerLog in

descriptionGary Johnson Rally in Salt Lake City, Utah (06/08/16) EmptyGary Johnson Rally in Salt Lake City, Utah (06/08/16)

more_horiz
Discuss the rally here!

The Hill wrote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Libertarian candidate for president Gary Johnson is set to speak at a campaign rally at the University of Utah on Saturday.

So far, nearly 600 people have signed up on the campaign website to attend the rally, being held from 2 to 4 p.m. in the ballroom of the A. Ray Olpin Student Union building.

"There has been a very large interest in this event," Apollo Pazell, a consultant to the Salt Lake-based Johnson campaign, said. "We're very happy with how it turned out."

Pazell said Johnson's running mate, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, will also speak at the rally. Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico, will be introduced by state Sen. Mark Madsen.

The Saratoga Springs lawmaker, who is not running for re-election, recently announced he was switching from the Republican to the Libertarian Party and endorsing Johnson.

Madsen said Utah voters don't have to choose between "two unsavory nominees," the Republican presidential pick, Donald Trump, or the Democratic choice, Hillary Clinton.

He said the Libertarian principles of balanced budgets, streamlined government and "leaving people alone to govern themselves" is "really the philosophy that most people in Utah believe in. Frankly, I think that's the philosophy they vote for," Madsen said on KSL Newsradio's "The Doug Wright Show."

This will be the Libertarian ticket's first campaign rally in Utah. All of the major political party candidates except Clinton made appearances in the state in March, just before Utah's presidential preference caucus votes.

Trump finished third in the Utah GOP caucus vote, behind the winner, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. Clinton was a distant second behind Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

descriptionGary Johnson Rally in Salt Lake City, Utah (06/08/16) EmptyRe: Gary Johnson Rally in Salt Lake City, Utah (06/08/16)

more_horiz
Weld is a summa from Harvard in economics, and a Harvard Law graduate - with honors, I believe.

I heard Johnson say last night that they think they can get things done, because they'll work with Dems AND Repubs - no party affiliation weighing them down (politically).

I like that. Maybe we can get some actual governance for a change, instead of the incessant political sniping.

Just look at the inability to address the microcephaly problem.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply